• 1984 Master of Arts in Communications, The University of Alabama
• 1978 Bachelor of Science in Broadcast and Film Communications, The University of Alabama
Teaching – Throughout my career, I have trained and evaluated students working with me in support positions. As production center manager at Alabama Public Television, I taught video production skills to students from Alabama State University and Auburn University in Montgomery. While serving as a producer-director at UA, I have worked with many students and I have also served as an adjunct professor teaching classes in media production off and on since 1984.
Documentary Filmmaking – For twenty five years, my primary work was the production of documentaries for broadcast on Alabama Public Television through the University of Alabama Center for Public Television & Radio. I researched topics, wrote scripts, directed production, supervised editing, and prepared promotional materials for all of my productions which included a wide variety of current affairs, history, and cultural subjects. Several of my documentaries have been distributed nationally and some have been featured at film festivals and special screenings around the world.
Television Production – In addition to single camera location production for documentaries, I have been involved in numerous multi-camera TV productions in studio and on location as producer, director, assistant director, camera operator, or audio mixer. In 2010 and 2011 I directed a music series shot on location for broadcast on Mississippi and Alabama public TV networks. While working for APT during the 1980s, I frequently directed daily live panel discussions.
Production Management and Administration – As production center manager with APT in Montgomery, Alabama, I supervised production and engineering staff, prepared annual budgets, and pursued funding opportunities. Grant applications which I prepared were successful in securing funding for new production equipment and I led staff in planning for building renovations and additions.
Corporate Communications – For two years I was employed by Kershaw Manufacturing Company, a privately owned company in Montgomery, Alabama to produce video and print materials used for training and promotion of products.
• Best Feature Length Documentary – Prometheus Film Festival 2011
• Honorable Mention – Los Angeles Reel Film Festival 2009
• Accolade TV Feature Documentary Award of Merit 2009
• Honorable Mention – Music Documentary – Philadelphia Independent Film Festival 2009
• Best Alabama Film and Best Professional Documentary – George Lindsey UNA Film Festival 2007
• Best of Show and First Place Documentary – Macon Film Festival 2007
• Second Place Feature Documentary – Tupelo Film Festival 2006
• Juror for Mississippi High School Film Competition 2011-2015
• Juror for Grenada Afterglow Film Festival 2014
• Juror for Knoxville Film Festival 2013
• Juror for On Location: Memphis International Film Festival in 2011 and 2013
• Graduate of Corporation for Public Broadcasting Mid-Management Institute
• Graduate of Recording Institute of America training for recording studio engineers
• Mixed sound for contemporary worship services at Forest Lake United Methodist Church since 1998
• Directed live broadcasts from First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa for two years
• Special screenings in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Berlin, and Rome
• Promotional planning and execution including preparing video, print, and web promotional materials.
• Experience with WordPress and social media.
• Multi-camera production in studio and on location.
• Sound recording and multi-track mixing.
• Keeping calm in demanding situations.
• Organizing and supervising people to accomplish common goals.